JLPT Study Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Need help choose either N4 or N5 JLPT

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

mydestiny
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Need help choose either N4 or N5 JLPT

Hi,

I was thinking of taking the JLPT this december, but I'm having trouble deciding whether I should choose to take the N4 or N5; I took first year Japanese in University of Toronto, and they told me that I should be prepared for the Level 4 JLPT. We used Minna no Nihongo 1 books from three As publishing, but that was like 3 years ago, and I did a little self studying afterwards.

Anyway, since there wasn't really much N5 studying books, I brought a few N4, N5 study books like the Nihongo Tango Speed Master and the Atarashi Nihongo nouryoku shiken guidebook for N4,N5. I looked through the N4 mock test, there is a few need grammar points that I don't know, but there are alot of new vocabularies. So, I just want to see if people think that 3 months would be enough time for me to learn enough to pass the N4 test?

Meyem
JLPT Helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject:

I think you should take a shot a N4. The test is only for challenging yourself, right. No harm if you don't pass, but better give yourself something to work towards rather than something you could pass today.

NeWbY
JLPT Helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject:

There's not a huge gap between JLPT5 and 4. Depending on your studying time / will it shouldn't be impossible to study for the JLPT N4 in 3 months.

asthenia
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject:

I totally agree, I think you have enough time to do the N4. I'm just starting now to study for it, but I'm not really worried at all. I think 3 months is plenty of time if you make a little time to study every day or every other day.

skim
JLPT Helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject:

take the highest possible test you think you can pass.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ReyBrujo
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject:

If you don't think you will study enough to reach N3 for next year (for example, too busy at work, only self-studying next year, etc), take N5. If you take N4 and pass, but next year can't study for N3, you will have to skip the test on 2011. If you take N5, you will likely be able to reach N4 for next year. And if you pass N5 and in the end are able to study next year, you can go for N3 in 2011.

Personally the important thing is to take the test every year as an annual goal, to measure your progress during the year and compared to the previous one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JLPT Study Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: